Monday, January 11, 2010

More movies, more writing: 1/11/10

I love movies. I also love breasts. I probably love movies (and breasts) more so than the average person, hence the birth of this blog. Sometimes I get too caught up in the grind of day-to-day life/work to where I don't get to watch as much as I want or should. While there are always resolutions about losing weight and quitting bad habits at the start of a new year, I have made it a goal for 2010 to watch more movies and spend more time writing about them. I took this idea from an online critic whom I admire, and used it as an excuse to just motivate myself to WRITE on a daily basis.

This is not a blog about breasts.


BRICK (Netflix streaming, 2005)



Why it has taken me nearly five years to see this movie is re-dunc-u-lous. I actually went in reverse and checked out Rian Johnson's second film, THE BROTHERS BLOOM yesterday, then hit up this debut. While I liked BLOOM more and overall find it to be a way more accessible and re-watchable film than this one, BRICK is super a impressive first outing for a talented director.

Here's the story: High schooler Brendan Frye can't find his ex-girlfriend. The last he heard from her was a frantic phone call where she told him she was in trouble. Brendan sets out like a smart-talking gumshoe from a 1940's flick and infiltrates a criminal underground trying to unravel the mystery surrounding her disappearance. Oh yeah, and every character in the film talks like an old Hollywood gangster picture.

If you're unfamiliar with the hard-boiled, crime/detective noir films of days past, then BRICK is going to severely fucking puzzle you. Here's one example of an exchange between characters who are in HIGH SCHOOL mind you:

Brendan Frye: Your muscle seemed plenty cool putting his fist in my head. I want him out.
The Pin: Looky, soldier...
Brendan Frye: The ape blows or I clam.

The film has its own language, and it's charming as all hell. I can imagine A LOT of casual moviegoers being put off by the dialogue, because it really requires you to pay attention and decipher the lingo. I loved it. I just found the entire concept brilliant. You have a regular, modern, boring-as-hell high school as a backdrop for a highly-engaging murder mystery filled with dames, goons and enough twists to leave you spinning. At first I was just kind of mystified by the whole idea and found myself laughing at how awesome the marriage between film noir and high school was; but where BRICK succeeds is the story was so engaging and interesting, that I got past the "gimmick" and was swept away by the drama and the characters.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a talented dude. Anyone see his dance number while hosting on SNL? I always saw him as the girly-haired alien from 3RD ROCK FROM THE SUN, and the little douche who gets a hockey skate rammed into his face by Michael Myers in H20, but no longer. After this and 500 DAYS OF SUMMER, I'm onboard for the rest of this dude's career. What's also weird is he looks a lot like Heath Ledger (both of them starred in 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU), and he's in Christopher (THE DARK KNIGHT) Nolan's new film INCEPTION. Hey, I'm jut saying... the Joker didn't die at the end...

Anyway, check out BRICK, and be warned this is a unique moviegoing experience. My only criticism is sometimes the bad-boy is a bit hard to follow along with, and if you miss something, you're quickly lost. If you lend yourself over to what the filmmakers are trying to do, I think you'll dig it.

BRICK: 7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment